Say Goodbye to Cellulite for the Summer
Winter is here, but soon Summer will be, best give yourself a head start and start getting ready for it now!
Cellulite; a womans most feared enemy! Most of us have it at some point in our lives and are not proud or happy with it. It is stubborn and very difficult to get rid of. Here is something that will put a smile on your face…..There are a few things that you can do to improve your skins apperence. The root of the problem concerning cellulite goes deeper than the skin will tell!
What cellulite exactly is….
Cellulite is defined as persistent subcutaneous fat causing dimpling of the skin that resembles an appearance of that of an orange peel. It frequently occurs more so in women than men due to the fact that women carry more body fat (cause of hormones) than men. Cellulite occurs most frequently in the hip, thigh, and buttock region; however it can occur on your upper extremities as well. Cellulite is simply a sign that your body is being polluted!
What causes these unflattering dimples to happen?
There are a number of factors:
Women who smoke and are over 35 years of age are the typical candidates for cellulite; however it can occur in any age, smoker or non-smoker. The age reasoning is due to the fact that as we age, we lose elasticity within our skin that keeps it supple and young looking. This is another reason why we gain wrinkles! Cellulite can also develop in your 20’s if you go from being active to inactive and indulge in fast foods and alcohol.
Estrogen has been known to cause cellulite because it breaks down the skin’s collagen during cellulite formation. This is also why women are more prone to cellulite than men! Therefore, women with lower estrogen levels will have less cellulite.
During pregnancy, you gain cellulite due to the increase in Estrogen. Your body clings to those fat deposits for dear life! This is why some women are left wondering why their bodies are changing the way that they do. Blame the hormones!
- POOR NUTRITIONAL DIET
Sorry to put a damper on your fast food cravings, but put McDonalds down! Junk food is one of the most common causes of cellulite primarily because it raises your total body fat percentage with excess, empty calories. Chemicals found in non-organic foods have also been blamed for cellulite formation. Also, not eating a well-balanced diet can cause cellulite. A large intake of carbs turns into sugar when not burned, which turns into fat, which shows up as cellulite.
- LACK OF EXERCISE
Not exercising regularly can lead to the appearance of cellulite. This is primarily due to the fact that when you exercise, it flushes toxins out of your body, and gets your blood pumping. Remember, fat cells are transported away through the circulatory system. So when you stay stationary, your fat cells tend to “sit” in the same location, never moving yet possible adding more and more fat cells to the group.
Another reason is that when you exercise, of course, you gain muscle. Muscle is a big helper here with cellulite because it literally “eats” fat away by taking the place of it. Muscle also burns more calories for a longer period of time. This is why strength training is so important and stressed to so many women, but women are more reluctant to give it try due to the fear of looking like a man or becoming bulky. This is impossible! It is always necessary to pair weights with cardio to decrease cellulite appearance. It works!
This is a big one. This was probably the most important. Fat cells are transported through your blood, but you need to be hydrated enough too properly “flush” the fat away. How much water should you get a day? Try for at least 2-3 litres.Carry a reusable bottle around with you everywhere you go.
- Total Body Fat Percentage
This is the overall reason for cellulite right here. Total body fat percentage depends on the amount of fat versus muscle within your body. The best way to decrease cellulite is to limit your overall body fat percentage. Remember, gaining muscle is great and will reduce the look of dimples while decreasing your total body fat percentage.
An important thing to remember is that a low number on the scale does not always equal a beautiful body. Being “skinny” does not always mean cellulite free either.
Diet plays a HUGE role in decreasing cellulite! Without a good diet, your body fat percentage will not decrease. If your body fat percentage does not decrease, your cellulite wouldn’t either. You get it. It’s a vicious cycle.
The best things to eat to prevent or decrease cellulite
- Green tea-high in antioxidants, this is actually a natural fat burner and detoxifier. Remember, cellulite is a build-up of toxins. Drinking green tea helps to flush these toxins away.
- Water; this is a no brainer. A cause of cellulite as mentioned before was dehydration. Add a little lemon to your water like I do, to aid in detoxification.
- Apple Cider Vinegar-this stuff is a miracle! I drink a couple of tablespoons every morning. Not only does it boost your energy levels, it relieves water retention in your tummy, buttocks, and thighs. Another natural detoxifier.
- Avoid added or extra salt! Salt loves to cling to water, and retain water in your most unflattering places. Salt also dries you out, making the appearance of cellulite even worse.
- Berries-filled with antioxidants!
- Salmon; the Omega 3′s and good fats in fish can actually rev up your metabolism, helping to burn that stored fat, which in turn, smooths things out.
- Cayenne or Cinnamon-sprinkle a little of these spices on your food! These are known to speed up your metabolism.
- Whole grain are packed with fibre, whole grains will not only keep you full longer, but keeps your insulin levels at bay. Refined carbs or “white flours” actually send your insulin levels soaring after you eat them, telling your body to store fat, rather than burn it! That’s why we avoid refined carbs & sugar and stick to whole grains.
- Grapefruit; is a wonder breakfast for most! Its enzymes and bioflavonoids help improve circulation. It aids in the flushing of fat cells, particularly the dark brown “stubborn” fat.
- Egg; another wonder breakfast! Some might be concerned about cholesterol, but the amount of vitamins and minerals, not to mention good fats and high protein levels, outweigh the cholesterol.
The best exercises to combat cellulite are the ones that get your heart pumping-CARDIO!
However, you do need strength training to gain muscle so that the appearance of cellulite virtually disappears. That’s why its suggested that you do a cardio/weight mix since you need cardio to cut the fat. The strength training builds the muscle that helps to eat fat while raising your metabolism. It’s been proven that muscle burns 3 times more calories than fat!
Best basic exercises to combat cellulite are (and its an added bonus to add some weights):
- Romanian Deadlifts
- Single leg hip extensions
As you can see, there is no real “one way” to combat cellulite. It takes an army of factors! A clean diet, a good workout, and hard work are the best ways to get the body you have always wanted. Old fashioned as it may be, it is the simple truth! It will not happen right away, but please do not get discouraged or give up. Anything that is worth the effort takes a time to achieve. Be patient and stay positive!
By Manuella Myburgh